Thursday, July 19, 2007

What Is My Place In The World?

So here I am, the summer before my Senior year of college, and I have no idea what I'm going to do after this. I've been preoccupied with this for some time now. I keep thinking, why is this so hard? I knew exactly what I wanted to do after high school. I knew the major that I wanted and the college that I wanted to attend. I was so sure that I wanted to go to Evansville that I didn't even apply anywhere else. And while my major has changed slightly with the addition of Classics, I'm still pretty much doing what I came to college for. But then what? What happens after I get the diploma in May of 2008? Well sure there's grad school, but is that what I really want to do? I've contemplated graduate work in Classics and then becoming a professor and teaching, but maybe I'm not cut out for that. Of course, maybe I am and I'm just short-changing myself, but I really don't know. I've never done anything like that before. But the thing is, what if school is just a security blanket? What if I've been in school practically my whole life, and I don't know what I would do outside of it? Take for instance the movie Shawshank Redemption. There is a character in that movie who has been in prison for such a long time that when he gets out he doesn't know what to do with himself, and so he kills himself. Now nobody out there needs to get worried and think that I'm on the same path, I'm just making the comparison that sometimes we get so used to a routine that when it's not there we don't know what to do with ourselves. So maybe I would go to grad school and become a professor simply to keep up the same routine that I've always had. Is that what I really want? I haven't really thought about any other possibilities. I mean, I've had some variations on the same theme, like working for a year or two and then going to grad school, or maybe doing Teach for America where I would be placed in an underprivileged school to teach younger students the basics for two years. I mean, I want to do something with my life. I want to make a difference. And maybe it's selfish of me to not want to join the real world, but to keep things at my own pace. I don't know what I should do. I'm sure that I'm not alone in these thoughts, as I'm sure that many of my classmates are thinking these same exact things. Anyway, I'm sure this is cliche to say, but I want to make the world a better place. I'm just trying to figure out how to do that with the abilities that I've been given. In the movie Unbreakable, one of the characters says something to the effect that the scariest thing in life is to not know your place in the world, to not know why you're here. I second that. I guess we'll see what happens.

1 comment:

Olivia said...

I love you.