Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Technological Frustrations: Both Reality and a Good Name for a Band

So not much is new here. Still doing homework, only now instead of Greek (which I got all done and am waiting to see if all of it got faxed to Evansville alright) it's British Studies. I have two papers that I'm doing preliminary research for, and a group project about the evolution of the city of Bristol. For that project I have some research to do and then I'm going to compile the whole group's research into a PowerPoint presentation. That should be fun. Friday we are having a school field-trip to the city of Lincoln. Brandon, Dani, Lisa, Ange and I have decided that after the field trip is over we are going to leave from Lincoln and go to London for the weekend. We think that we are definitely going to the Tower of London and the British Museum (which is free; thumbs up). There are a few other places that we're not sure about, like this London Dungeons tour which looks to be one of those stupid haunted-house things that come around every Halloween only with some (very-slight) historical significance. We'll see what ends up happening. We already have our hostel booked, and it was very cheap, so that was good. Now, with regards to the title of this post: I hate technology. Actually, I take that back. I love technology; when it works. The network we have here on campus is the worst one ever. They have a few Wireless Access Points that allow those with laptops to access the network, but no server plug-ins in the rooms. Meaning to get on the internet I have to go and sit in the common room in the carriage house. And that's not even my main complaint. I would be ok with that, if it worked most of the time, but it doesn't. I don't know how many times I've heard people say "the internet's down" and everyone just sighs and rolls their eyes. It's a frequent occurrence, which is kinda ridiculous. They should have a network that doesn't stop working when someone breathes the wrong way. I don't know how many times I've been in the middle of a conversation with someone on AIM and all of the sudden it says I'm disconnected, and then I can't reconnect. It's annoying, because usually, I won't be able to get back on the network for the rest of the evening, until it gets fixed in the morning. Now on to a certain website called facebook. Facebook has become an evil entity, one that lets everyone know everything that you've ever done. It is now a totalitarian regime, broadcasting your life to everyone who has an account. Ok, so maybe it's not that widespread, but it's ridiculous the amount of information I can get just by going on the homepage and looking on the news feeds. Stuff that you would normally have to look for is right there in front of you: who joined what group, who has gotten into/out-of a relationship, who added who as a friend, who wrote what on one of your friend's wall; all broadcast. I don't like it, and I told the development team so. There are also numerous groups on facebook doing the same thing. Hopefully we can get this changed, but if not, I will not be using facebook anymore. It used to be so simple, but now it's just a stalker-tool. To paraphrase V for Vendetta: people should not be afraid of facebook; facebook should be afraid of people Well, that's my rant about facebook and the campus network. Back to motivating myself to do homework.

2 comments:

Olivia said...

Speaking of evil technology, I think you just got kicked off of AIM for a moment...

I love the amount of sarcasm you employ when writing posts. It makes me feel like I'm having a normal, face-to-face, sarcasm-laden conversation with you. :) Well, almost...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are having fun minus the wireless problems! Ditto on your Facebook rant! fricken stalker in training is what it should be called (hmm.. FSIT.com ) ha ha! -Your most amazing insane cousin... (Michelle) :)