Monday, August 28, 2006

British Studies 382 + 2 Classical Language Independent Studies = Not Much Fun

So today was the first day that I had my British Studies course. As I said earlier, it consists of a large lecture with all the Harlaxton students for about an hour, and then you break up into small groups to have seminars. My professor happens to be the one who will be giving most of the lectures, because this is primarily a history course and he is a history teacher. He is a very interesting guy, because he of course has a British accent, but a also has a speech impediment so that is r's come out w's. So instead of the British, he talks about the Bwitish. Now I'm not making fun of his speech, I'm just saying that it's sometimes hard to understand British accents, but then add on top of that something else that makes communication difficult. But he's a really great teacher so far, and I think I'm really gonna like his style. By style I mean the fact that he's very sarcastic and likes to make intelligent jokes all of the time, and he also knows what he's talking about when it comes to academics. Today was just preliminary stuff, such as what the course would be like and how tests and quizzes would work, and what papers would be written; that sort of thing. I then found out that since I'm taking the class as 382 and not 282, that I would have to end up writing two 3000-word essays, one having to do with Oliver Cromwell (the name that I drew from a box) and the other having to do with anything connected to the city of London. It's going to be a lot of work, which is why I'm worried, because on top of those things I have my 2 Independent Studies: Greek and Latin. I messed up a little because I made my own schedule for when I was going to do what chapters in Greek, and I had myself doing two chapters over the summer and then starting the next when I got here. Well, I didn't exactly do two chapters over the summer, so now I have to do 3 chapters by next Monday. I have one done, that I completed today, but all in all I probably spent about 5 to 6 hours on it, between today and a little on the plane and a very little bit at home. So that means I have two more to go. The good news is that Latin doesn't start until about the middle of the month because until the class in Evansville is just reviewing (which I should do some of too, but that won't take much time), and I'm not going on any big trips this weekend, just maybe into Grantham or something like that. So I should have plenty of time to get all of my work done. When I had been doing Greek for about 3 hours or so, I was just fed up with it and I had to get out. So I went outside and walked around the Manor. I had explored a little bit before, so this time I went to some of the places that I hadn't gone before. It is a breath-taking place, and there are so many spots where I could go and just sit, or stand or even walk around, and I would be surrounded by trees, but still have an amazing view of the country-side. During that time exploring I really felt peace and contentment, and it was a good feeling. After that it was work for the rest of the night with a substantial break to hang out with friends, and I even managed to make a call to a certain special someone. Now I'm writing this before I head to bed. Even though I don't have any classes tomorrow, I should still get up at a decent time, I have things to do. Well, here's to long nature-walks.

2 comments:

Olivia said...

A certain special someone? Hmm, wonder who that could be...

I think I might've talked to you tonight, come to think of it. Could I be the someone?! ;)

Anonymous said...

I hope you get pictures of this beautiful landscape!!!! I am glad your first day went well! Talk to you later!! Love you! ~Angela~